The Banuelos Research Group (MBG) at Fresno State focuses on applying mathematics to (mostly) biological problems, and I am currently looking for both undergraduate & graduate students to join the group.
Optimization & Deep Learning Methods for Genomic Variant Detection
To uncover genomic variation in related individuals, I work on developing optimization tools that leverage known information in the prediction of variation heredity.
Deep Learning Methods for Noisy Data
In 2018, I worked as a Postdoc at the MSRI-UP program. This led to projects on developing machine and deep learning methods for noisy data (in imaging and genomics) as well as to detect higher-order interactions of genomic variants.
Statistical Modeling of Endemic Diseases
I am interested in developing mathematical and statistical models for the study of Central Valley Fever using genomic and disease data.
Current Group Members
- Erica Sawyer: Master's in Mathematics
- Dozie Eloka: Major - Mechanical Engineering, Minor: Mathematics, Computer Engineering
- Manuel Chacon: Major - Mathematics, Applied Math Option
- Gobind Puniani: Major - Mathematics, Applied Math Option, Minor: Physics
- Stefanie Motsenbocker: Major - Mathematics, Statistics Option
Past Group Members
- Demi Ayala: Major - Biochemistry, Minor - Mathematics. Currently pursuing a Master's in Biochemistry at Cal Poly Pomona.
- Elizabeth Schulz: Major - Applied and Computational Mathematics, Carnegie Mellon University
University of California, Merced
- Suzanne Sindi, Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics
- Roummel Marcia, Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
- Applied Mathematics Ph.D. Candidates Omar DeGuchy and Fabian Santiago
University of San Francisco
- David Uminsky, Associate Professor of Mathematics, Director of MS in Data Science and Data Institutute
The Joint Genome Institute (JGI)
- Igor Grigoriev, PhD - Fungal Genomics Program Lead
I am currently looking for graduate (Master's) students to join the group! Desired background is in linear algebra, programming skills, and/or bioinformatics. If you are interested or have any questions, please feel free to contact me.