Welcome! I am an Assistant Professor of Mathematics at California State University, Fresno. I am from the small, agricultural town of Delano, California and a first-generation college student. I earned my B.A. in Mathematics from California State University, Fresno (Fresno State), and I obtained my Ph.D. in Applied Math from the University of California, Merced under the guidance of my advisor Prof. Suzanne Sindi. My research interests include mathematical biology, optimization, statistical models for genome evolution, and data science. As I begin my research group at Fresno State, I am excited to bring more research opportunities and innovation to the Central Valley.
May 11: Awarded NIH grant to use statistical models for predicting Central Valley Fever outcomes.
May 8: Erica Sawyer and Gobind Puniani present at the College of Science and Mathematics Virtual Showcase.
July 28: MAA Mathfest 2020 session on Developing Computational and Applied Math Courses
Aug 19: First day of Fall 2020 Instruction
- March: Erica Sawyer presented joint work at the 2020 Data Science and Image Analysis Conference of the Pacific Northwest.
- January: Panelist on AMS Committee on Education Panel Discussion: Next Steps: Mathematics Departments and the Explosive Growth of Computational and Quantitative Offerings in Higher Education at JMM 2020
- December: Presented at the 2nd Latinx in AI Workshop (co-located with NeurIPS 2019)
- Chaired the "Scientific Computing and Data Science" Session at SACNAS 2019 in Hawaii.
- Our abstract, co-authored with Omar DeGuchy, on structural variation detection was accepted to the 2019 Latinx in AI workshop!
- September: Presented at the 2019 European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO) in A Coruña, Spain.
- June: Our Paper, co-authored with David Uminsky, Rosa Garza, Lillian González-Albino, and Sylvia Nwakanma, "Detecting Higher Order Genomic Variant Interactions with Spectral Analysis" was accepted to the 2019 European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO)!
- Graduate student Erica Sawyer presented at the North California Undergraduate Mathematics Conference (NCUMC) in Chico, California.
- Organized a group of Fresno State students to attend the 4th Annual Central Valley SIAM Regional Conference in Merced, CA.
- March: Presented "Leveraging Inheritance and Deep Learning to Detect Genomic Variation" at the Data Institute SF Annual Conference.
- February: Organized a SIAM Workshop Celebrating Diversity (WCD) and presented at the SIAM Conference on Computer Science and Engineering (CSE19) in Spokane, Washington.
- January: Presented at the 2019 Joint Mathematics Meetings (JMM) for the MAA Invited Paper Session Trends in Mathematical and Computational Biology
- December: Presented at the 1st Latinx in AI Research Workshop, co-located with the 2018 Nueral Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS) Conference.
- October: Presented at the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Math Department Colloquium in San Luis Obispo, California.
- August: Presented at the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) 2018 in Rio.
- May: Our paper (co-authored with Prof. Suzanne Sindi), "Modeling Transposable Elements with Fragmentation Equations," accepted to Mathematical Biosciences.
- April: Presented at the 2018 International Conference of Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP) in Calgary, Alberta.
- March: Organized a group to attend the Latinx in Mathematical Sciences Conference at the Institute of Pure and Applied Mathematics (IPAM) in Los Angeles, California.
- January: Presented at the 2018 Joint Math Meetings (JMM) in San Diego, California.